Fabulously healthy and with no added sugar, using only 3 ingredients.
This is a delicious snack that my 2 year old asks for regularly. Banana and almond butter bites are super easy and take only five minutes to make.
My son loves these with peanut butter, or you could try making them with our Homemade Vegan Nutella, which is also a delicious combination.
What You'll Need
- Almond Butter - Loaded with antioxidants & a reliable plant based source of Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin E. Calcium, as we know, is great for supporting bone health. Magnesium aids in Calcium absorption as well as being crucial for muscle and nerve function. Vitamin E is a great Antioxidant, helping protect skin cells from damage (think UV rays from the sun). Almond Butter can be shop bought or homemade. If buying, it's more cost effective to buy in bulk so see if you can get hold of a 1kg tub. For other ideas on how to use Almond Butter take a look at our Chickpea Cookies.
- Banana - Although not as high in Potassium as some other foods, such as Blueberries, Nuts and Seeds, a good source nonetheless. They're also great for digestion due to their high fiber content. You'll want nice ripe bananas for this recipe. Ideally that sweet spot where they've got a few brown spots but haven't started to turn completely brown yet.
- Cinnamon - A tasty addition and great way to include extra flavours to your little ones palate. Cinnamon helps to reduce inflammation, and is loaded with Antioxidants (even ranking higher in Antioxidant level than some 'Superfoods').
- Hemp Seeds - One of the main plant based sources of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential for good brain health. They are a complete protein (containing all 9 essential amino acids). Two things all parents need to ensure their children are getting enough of.
You could try making a sunflower seed butter and using that instead. There is a lovely one to try on www.minamalistbaker.com
You can try this with any nut butter that you fancy. We sometimes have this with peanut butter instead. Its also really scrummy with our Homemade Vegan 'Nutella' or our Chocolate Orange Spread
Yes they are delicious frozen! I like to coat them in melted chocolate before putting them in the freezer. Just be sure to add in a little coconut oil to the melted chocolate to help soften the chocolate shell.
If freezing, they will keep for 2-3 weeks.
More Snack ideas
Banana and Almond Butter Bites Recipe
- 1 Banana
- 2 tablespoon Almond Butter
- ½ tablespoon Hemp Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Slice the banana in to rounds.1 Banana
- Spoon a little almond butter over each banana slice.2 tablespoon Almond Butter
- Using your fingers sprinkle over some Cinnamon and Hemp Seeds.½ tablespoon Hemp Seeds, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
Made these for my kids today and they absolutely loved them! Definitely going to try them with the chocolate orange spread next time.