Cashew milk is creamy, mild in flavour and takes only minutes to make. You can drink it as is, used it in tea & coffee, and also when cooking. It can be used for anything from hot chocolate to porridge and pretty much anything you'd usually use milk in.
We use dates to sweeten our plant milks as we use them predominately for drinking, breakfast cereals and in hot drinks. If you leave out the dates then they can also be used for more savoury dishes. Like Vegan Béchamel Sauce, for example.
What You'll Need
- Cashews - Rich in fibre, Heart-Healthy Fats, and Plant Protein. They're also a good source of Copper, Magnesium, and Manganese. Which are important nutrients for energy production, brain health, immunity, and bone health. Cashews are also abundant with Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, which are associated with reduced cardiovascular disease risk. They are also a source of numerous other essential Vitamins and Minerals, including Protein, Iron, Zinc and Magnesium. They also help to lower LDL cholesterol levels. We buy these in bulk from Health Food stores because we use them in a lot of recipes, and it makes it more cost effective.
- Medjool Dates - Fresh Dates are full of Fibre, Iron, Vitamin A & Antioxidants. They’re also known to be a great food for pregnant women, especially when it comes to labour and delivery. You can read up more about that on the Nutrition Facts website. Look for Medjool Dates in your nearest Supermarket/Grocery Store, or buy online.
How to Make it
- Put all of the ingredients into the blender and then blend on high speed for about 1 minute.
Homemade Cashew milk can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days.
If your milk isn't 100% smooth, you can strain it through a Muslin Cloth to remove any tiny particles of cashew that didn't completely blend.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
You can use Cashew milk in exactly the same way as someone might use dairy. It is delicious as a drink on its own, chilled or warm. It's great in tea or coffee and can be used to make anything from hot chocolate to porridge and everything in-between. If you'd like to try one of our breakfast recipes in which we use this then take a look at our Weetabix Medley.
You can mix up the flavour by using spices such as cinnamon or cardamon. Add ¼ teaspoon of your chosen flavour to the blender before mixing.
You can keep cashew milk in the fridge, in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
Yes you can. Freeze in an airtight container and it will keep for up to 3 months.
- High speed blender such as a Vitamix or Ninja.
- ¼ cup Cashews
- 1 ½ pints Water
- 1 Medjool Date
- Put all the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high speed for 1 minute¼ cup Cashews, 1 ½ pints Water, 1 Medjool Date