Our easy, Vegan and incredibly tasty, Satay Tofu Skewers recipe. Served with our creamy Peanut Sauce, aromatic fresh Coriander and crunchy Sesame Seeds.
What You'll Need
- Coriander/Cilantro - We use some roughly chopped for a garnish because of it's wonderful flavour. It's worth noting though how good fresh herbs are for your health. Coriander in particular is full of Vitamin K, which is something our bodies need for good bone and heart health. Evidence also supports the use of Coriander for reducing the severity of indigestion, which may come in handy to know if you're pregnant (like I am at the time of writing this).
- Satay Sauce - You can use store bought Satay Sauce for this recipe, or alternatively we recommend that you make and use our incredibly tasty Vegan Satay Sauce. We use this for both the Tofu, and the dipping sauce, which gives this recipe it's unique flavour.
We've included the details on how to make this within this recipe post to make your life easier. See the below photo or the recipe card for the Ingredients.
- Sesame Oil - This adds flavour to the Tofu when cooking. You can opt for a neutral flavour instead if you're out of Sesame Oil.
- Sesame Seeds - For a stronger Sesame flavour, you can toast these lightly in a frying pan prior to garnishing the Tofu Skewers. Sesame seeds are rich in Iron (particularly the black seeds), so we try to use these where possible in our Asian inspired dishes.
Homemade Satay Sauce Ingredients
How to Make the Homemade Peanut Sauce
- For full information on the ingredients used in this recipe, see our dedicated Vegan Satay Sauce recipe. The quantities of these ingredients, and the full instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Frying Pan
- Sharp Knife
- Skewers x4 these can be wooden or metal
- Small tongs or a fork for handling the cooked Tofu
How to Make the Satay Tofu Skewers
- Step 1 - Firstly, put your frying pan on a low-medium heat, and add the Sesame Oil. Then cut your block of Tofu in to 2-3cm squares.
- Step 2 - Add the Tofu to the hot pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning a few times until golden brown on all sides. Take the pan off the heat and turn off the hob.
- Steps 3 & 4 - Next, add 4 tablespoons of the Satay Sauce to the pan and stir well until the Tofu is fully coated.
- Steps 5 & 6 - Using a pair of tongs or a fork, add the Tofu cubes to the skewers, being careful as the Tofu will be a little hot.
For the Peanut Dipping Sauce
Simply add ¼ cup of the Homemade Satay Sauce with 2-4 tablespoons of water, depending on the consistency you'd like. Start with 2 tablespoons, mix well, then add more if required.
Serve your Tofu Skewers topped with fresh, chopped, Coriander and a sprinkle of Sesame Seeds.
Substitutions & Variations
- Gluten Free - If following a Gluten Free diet, you can change the Soy Sauce for Tamari or Coconut Aminos. If using Coconut Aminos, you'll need to double the recipe quantity of Soy Sauce.
- Coriander /Cilantro- If you're not a fan of Coriander (Cilantro), try swapping it for Thai Basil instead.
The cooked Tofu and Satay Sauce can be stored separately in the fridge for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Don't overcook your Tofu, you want it golden brown for best results. This makes the Tofu slightly crispy on the outside, yet firm and moist on the inside.
These skewers pair well with Noodles, Rice or as part of a BBQ. Try adding these to our our Easy Vegan Noodle Stir-Fry.
Other Meal Ideas
Here are a few of our other Delicious Recipes you might like to try.
Satay Tofu Skewers
- Frying pan)
- Garlic press (for the Satay Sauce)
- Glass Bowl (for the Satay Sauce)
- Sharp Knife
- 4 Skewers (these can be wooden or metal)
- Small Tongs (or fork for handling the cooked Tofu)
- Whisk (for the Satay Sauce)
For the Homemade Satay Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 clove Garlic small, minced
- ½ teaspoon Ginger fresh, minced
- ¼ Lime fresh, juiced
- 1.5 tbsps Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsps Soy Sauce low-sodium
- 2-4 tbsps Water lukewarm
For the Skewers
- Small Handful Fresh Coriander/Cilantro for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds for garnishing
- 1 block Firm Tofu
For Homemade Satay Sauce
- Mince the Garlic and Ginger either by using a Garlic Press, or by dicing very finely with a sharp knife, then add both to your bowl.1 clove Garlic, ½ teaspoon Ginger
- Add the Apple Cider Vinegar, Lime Juice, Maple Syrup, Soy Sauce and Peanut Butter to the bowl.1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar, ¼ Lime, 1.5 tbsps Maple Syrup, 2 tbsps Soy Sauce, ¼ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- Using a Whisk or a Fork gently begin stirring all the ingredients together for a few minutes. Initially the Peanut Butter will separate, as shown in picture 3. However, once you continue whisking together for a minute or two, it will start to blend well with the other ingredients until it is all well combined (picture 4).
For the Tofu Skewers
- Put your frying pan on a low-medium heat, and add the Sesame Oil.1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- Then cut your block of Tofu in to 2-3cm squares.1 block Firm Tofu
- Add the Tofu to the hot pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning a few times until golden brown on all sides.
- Next, take your pan off the heat and turn off the hob.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the Satay Sauce to the pan and stir well until the Tofu is fully coated.
- Using a pair of tongs or a fork, slide the Tofu cubes to the skewers, being careful as the Tofu will be a little hot.
For the Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Mix the Satay Sauce with 2-4 tablespoons of water, depending on the consistency you'd like. Start with 2 tablespoons, mix well, then add more if required.2-4 tbsps Water
- Serve your Tofu Skewers topped with fresh, chopped, Coriander/Cilantro and a sprinkle of Sesame Seeds.Small Handful Fresh Coriander/Cilantro, 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds